The Leah Ryan Fund began giving out its annual prize in 2010 to honor the memory of Leah Ryan, and to encourage and support the work of brilliant and unrecognized women, trans, and non-binary playwrights. It is the purpose of the prize to perpetuate the integrity, compassion, and creativity that Leah herself possessed and inspired in others.
Winners of The Leah playwriting prize receive a cash award, currently $5,000, and a public reading and summer workshop as part of the Powerhouse Theater Program at Vassar College. As hoped, the prize has been a springboard for winners who have subsequently won other competitions, have received full-staged productions of their work, and/or have gone on to successful careers in theater, TV, and film.
- 2022: Jessica Moss, FUNNIE; OR THE MOST LAMENTABLE COMEDIE OF JANE THE FOOLE
- 2021: Stefani Kuo, FINAL BOARDING CALL
- 2020: Tyler English-Beckwith, MINGUS
- 2019: Eliana Pipes, DREAMHOU$E
- 2018: Gina Femia, ALLOND(R)A
- 2017: Susan Soon He Stanton, WE, THE INVISIBLES
- 2016: Genne Murphy, GIANTESS
- 2015: Boo Killebrew, MILLER, MISSISSIPPI
- 2014: Jen Silverman, THE MOORS
- 2013: Jiehae Park, HANNAH AND THE DREAD GAZEBO
- 2012: Rachel Teagle, THE EVER AND AFTER
- 2011: Laura Marks, BETHANY
- 2010: Megan Mostyn-Brown, THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
To support The Leah playwriting prize from the Leah Ryan Fund, donate online through the Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley website.
You can also donate by mail:
Please make checks payable to the Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley, and make sure to write “Leah Ryan Fund” in the memo line.
Please mail to:
Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley
25 Van Wagner Rd, Suite 2
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
We thank you in advance for your generosity in supporting the Leah Ryan Fund.